Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I need crowd control

Recently Abby started swim lessons. Yes, I know we are a tad late to getting her skills up. Especially as we are surrounded by water. But well, we've been busy. As I was sitting at her lesson recently I realized that just across the pool was a windowed room that gave you a view of the pool.

The room was filled with stationary bikes. In a moment of AHA I thought why am I sitting here when I could be exercising. No I wasn't hit on the head. 

This week I brought my shorts and sneakers with us. As she got into the pool I went to the next room and entered the land of the bikes.

Giving thanks there was no one else in the room as I realized that while it had been over a decade (plus) since I belonged to a gym. And then I only took classes. I never used the equipment. But it shouldn't be too hard, right? I have never. Ever. Like never ridden a stationary bike before. A real bike, yes. One that you pedaled and didn't change your scenery? A new experience. I ran into a few issues. 

First the bikes are freaking huge. As in I hop onto the seat and can not only not reach the pedals but cannot reach the handlebars (are they called that if they don't steer?). Jump back off and spent a few minutes figuring out the adjustment. I figure out how to get it to the kiddie height. Hop back on and cannot move the pedals. 

What the heck? Is there a brake? There must be, but now it seems that doohickey on the handlebars is a tension control. Okay now I can move. I am in the zone. Watching Abby swim, I think this is great. I get 40 odd minutes of uninterrupted exercise plus I don't have to sit in the overheated pool area with a mom who wants to make small chat.

A guy walks in and says you having a bike ride? I’m like no a pedicure. Anyway with 20 bikes in the room guess where he chooses?  YUP THE ONE RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! Then he strikes up a conversation. Asking me if I was a member of the "Y". (yes) Because he is not but thinking of joining. I didn't even have to ask a follow-up question to find out while his children do their lessons he "sneaks" into this section and rides. He comments on wondering why more parents don't take advantage of the equipment while their children are in the pool. (Maybe they are not members I think). And goes on and on which would have been fine except just as I’m about to finish an Adonis wannabe walks in and again asks…

You having a bike ride?

Men are idiots. But at least this one was eye candy.

I tell him I’m just finishing up b/c my daughter is about done. He gets the bike on the OTHER side of me. I’m like really? There are now 19 other bikes that could have been utilized. But apparently my area is the perfect area in which to ride. And like I said, this guy was eye candy.

I try again at Abby's next lesson. There is not one person in there. WHOOPEE and I am prepared. I have my ear buds, music playlist and Kindle balanced on the bike. A woman walks in and says, oh are you teaching a class?

I think: yes and these are my invisible students. 

Instead I bite my tongue and reply: Nope just riding and enjoying the quiet while my daughter has her class. She gets on the bike right in front of me so I cannot even see the pool. She is in street clothes and flip flops. Um, weird but okay. I have my ear buds in and am reading my book. One sentence in and….


YUP SHE STARTS A CONVERSATION!!! (I guess my enjoying the quiet comment was too vague)

She is not a member but saw me riding and thought she could get 20 minutes of exercising in since it was raining. I channel my nephew of the one word answers. It doesn't work. I hear about how this seat is better than that seat. I look back down at my book as she begins telling me about her two children. I keep pedaling, keep the ear buds in yet it goes on and on. I was wishing for eye candy.

The "Y" needs better crowd control.


5 comments:

  1. Oh man, this would have driven me crazy to no end, because like you when I work out I like it quiet either to listen to music or read if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES what is so hard about giving people space! And that was rude of that lady to sit in front of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that is crazy. I mean, I am friendly and love to chat up folks, but if someone has earbuds in and reading a book.. come on.
    I guess on the bright side of things, they were being kind and just trying to make conversation. :) It could have been a lot worse. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely lost it at "yes and these are my invisible students." Laughing so hard! I'm sorry it had to be so difficult for you though...ugh! I know exactly what you mean when you say that people tend to gravitate towards the equipment nearby, though...that happens to me allll the time when I'm at the gym too and it bugs me because I feel self-conscious when it seems like people are watching me work out...hahaha :) Thanks for making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. next time, go to the back of the room and hide your kindle inside a big book with an unfriendly title! do you think people are predisposed to make small talk, like it would be rude to just nod at someone and keep your mouth shut?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!